Sunday, January 10, 2021

Online seminar - from flies to mice: discovery and validation of potential new drugs for SMA


Thursday, 28th January 2021 
15:00

From flies to mice: discovery and validation of potential new drugs for SMA

Piotr Konieczny, PhD  

Il seminario si terrà in forma di webinar : 

Contact: Dr Elia Di Schiavi 
e-mail: elia.dischiavi@ibbr.cnr.it




BIO 

My  name is  Piotr  Konieczny and I am a  post-doctoral  fellow in laboratory  of Translational  Genomics at the University of Valencia, Spain. Originally from a small town in Poland, I am  driven and passionate scientist with 12 years of laboratory experience in different  fields. I  received my bachelor’s degree in plant genetics at the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań,  Poland. Afterwards, I earned my Master Science at University of Jaén in Spain, in the field of  human immunogenetics. Then I moved to the University of Valencia where I work in the field  of  rare  genetic  diseases. I  obtained  my  doctoral  degree  in  2018  in  Biotechnology  and  Biomedicine at the University of Valencia under supervision of Prof. Rubén Artero, with whom  I continue my work. During my phD I worked in a multidisciplinary team searching for drugs  for Myotonic Dystrophy type 1 and I also searched for epigenetic differences related to this  disease. However, my main work was  focused  on  developing a Drosophila-based  reporter  system for genetic and chemical screening in the field of spinal muscular atrophy.