Sunday, January 10, 2021

Online seminar - from flies to mice: discovery and validation of potential new drugs for SMA


Thursday, 28th January 2021 
15:00

From flies to mice: discovery and validation of potential new drugs for SMA

Piotr Konieczny, PhD  

Il seminario si terrà in forma di webinar : 

Contact: Dr Elia Di Schiavi 
e-mail: elia.dischiavi@ibbr.cnr.it




BIO 

My  name is  Piotr  Konieczny and I am a  post-doctoral  fellow in laboratory  of Translational  Genomics at the University of Valencia, Spain. Originally from a small town in Poland, I am  driven and passionate scientist with 12 years of laboratory experience in different  fields. I  received my bachelor’s degree in plant genetics at the Adam Mickiewicz University in Poznań,  Poland. Afterwards, I earned my Master Science at University of Jaén in Spain, in the field of  human immunogenetics. Then I moved to the University of Valencia where I work in the field  of  rare  genetic  diseases. obtained  my  doctoral  degree  in  2018  in  Biotechnology  and  Biomedicine at the University of Valencia under supervision of Prof. Rubén Artero, with whom  I continue my work. During my phD I worked in a multidisciplinary team searching for drugs  for Myotonic Dystrophy type 1 and I also searched for epigenetic differences related to this  disease. However, my main work was  focused  on  developing a Drosophila-based  reporter  system for genetic and chemical screening in the field of spinal muscular atrophy.